We have a specialised team in the technology, media and telecommunication (TMT). Our team has built a vast experience in this field by advising high-profile and multinational clients on the laws and regulations governing TMT sector in Egypt.
Sample of Recent Experience
- Advising Maersk, the Danish shipping giant, and Saudi Arabia VC Raed Ventures in relation to the Egyptian law aspects of the $42 million Series A round of investment in Trella, the technology platform that connects shippers to carriers.
- Advise Xiaomi on the data privacy and telecommunication implications of the lunching of a robot vacuum cleaner which uses vSLAM technology and features a camera that helps to read the real-time and locate the device. Providing legal advice to Xiaomi in relation to their “email marketing campaign” which includes informing customers of upcoming promotion events, launching of new products or other selling events, and sending emails to customers containing advertising information.
- Advising a well-known US-based games developer which intended to use in Egypt a mobile phone application and connected cloud-service, which is intended for use by consumers. The application allows consumers to use their phone’s camera to view on their screens the real world as visible by the camera i.e. augmented reality – whilst allowing superimposition of graphics over some or the entire visible real world. We advised the client on privacy issues, copyright/trademark issues, mapping rights, patents and creation issues.
- Conducting legal due diligence on Chenyee (a Chinese company with a subsidiary in Egypt) selling mobile phones, Bluetooth, head-phones and other mobile accessories. The due diligence focused on the intellectual property licenses and trade-mark registrations and telecommunication licenses and approvals.
- Conducting legal due diligence on Qcentris Egypt, subsidiary of Qcentris Group – a multinational leading group focuses on software development, computer systems, applications, QA services, Wealth-Tech, Lend-Tech, Digital Transformation, Quality Assurance, Consulting and Outsourcing. The due diligence covers company’s corporate compliance, shareholders’ contracts, and material contracts with clients, IT registrations with the Technology Industry Development Agency (“ITIDA”), IP licenses, employment and social insurance compliance.
- Advising ElCinema, the largest digital Arabic movies database in Egypt offering content marketing, online booking and video production. We assist elCinema in their licensing requirements, corporate governance, contract review and IPRs matters.
- Assisting and advising DAZN, subscription video streaming service on media law, telecommunication law, and data protection law, laws on advertisement, consumer protection and cyber security laws.
- Providing legal advice for UNiDAYS in relation to their digital services in Egypt answering questions on corporate structure, tax implications, data privacy, consumer protection, intellectual property and trade-mark registrations, marketing emails.
- Assisting OVS – the Italian retail services company – in entering into a franchise agreement and sorting out its legal liability in relation to the technology transfer, property of IP work, consumer protection and other related matters.
- Advising CMS regarding their client’s roll out of the Learn2Earn online program across the EMEA region. We prepared a legal advice on the legal framework of this kind of service in Egypt and the issues that will might arise.