Over the past years, we have successfully built our Oil & Gas and Mineral Resources experience.
Our Team Has an Extensive Experience in:
- Advising IOCs in relation to the Egyptian legal and regulatory frameworks.
- Reviewing and commenting on concession agreements, direct and indirect assignment of rights, pre-emption rights.
- Drafting and reviewing agreements including services, sales, farm-in/out and joint venture/operation agreements.
- Liaising and negotiating with the various authorities.
Sample of Recent Experience
- Advising Kuwait Energy Egypt in relation to the indirect assignment of Abu Sennan concession agreement with EGPC
- Advised Chile’s ENAP Sipetrol in relation to the Concession of West Amer Block in Gulf of Suez. We advised ENAP in relation to the Egyptian legal and regulatory frameworks as well as reviewing and commenting on concession agreements
- Acted as the local counsel for Eni, the Italian multinational oil and gas company, in the landmark transaction relating to the restructuring of Damietta LNG facility as well as the settlement negotiation in relation to the USD 2 Billion arbitration award against the Egyptian Government. Our role included advising Eni on the acquisition of 50% of Union Fenosa Gas’ shares in SEGAS company, as a part of a big settlement agreement concluded with the Egyptian Government in relation to Damietta LNG project.
- Advising British Petroleum (BP) in relation to its Master FOB LNG sale and purchase agreement with Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Company (EGAS).
- Advised ExxonMobil in relation to the two agreements for natural gas exploration in the Mediterranean with the Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Corporation (EGAS). The first agreement is for exploration in the North East Amriya block and the second is for the North Marakia block. Exxon will operate and hold 100% interest in both blocks. Exploration operations including the acquisition of seismic data will begin in 2020.
- Advising ExxonMobil in the 2018 international bid round for gas exploration announced by the Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Corporation (EGAS). EGAS bid round was dubbed as the largest in its history with five gas exploration concessions awarded including border areas in the Mediterranean Sea as well as land areas in the Nile Delta.
- Advising ExxonMobil in relation to its joint operation agreement (JOA) with Tharwa Petroleum Company for the exploration and production gas under the concession agreement with the Arab Republic of Egypt and the Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Company (EGAS).
- Advising Thani Stratex Resources Limited, a gold exploration and mining company, in relation to its Gold and Associated Minerals Exploration and Exploitation in the Eastern Desert in Egypt granted by Egyptian Mineral Resources Authority (EMRA). We advised the client in relation to an acquisition of its entire issued share capital and opined on specific matters relating to mineral interests in the relevant gold exploration and exploitation concession agreement.
- Representing one of the multinational oil and gas companies in the settlement negotiations relating to the arbitration award issued against the Egyptian Government with a compensation of $ 2 billion.
- Advised GS Engineering & Construction Corporation on the settlement with the Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC) on a finance restructuring of Egypt’s largest oil refinery project in a value of USD 500m. The project is a greenfield refinery with investment cost of more than USD 4 billion and is expected to produce 2.25 million tons of diesel, 80,000 tons of butane gas and 600,000 tons of jet fuel.
- Advised ALS, the global mining services company, in relation to the regulatory framework of conducing analytical geochemistry services in the mining service. We also set up the first subsidiary of ALS in Egypt.
Dr. Fatma Salah