We have a specialized team in the field of energy and infrastructure projects which advices reputable and high profile international clients in their mega projects in Egypt. Our team has built strong hands-on experience in the energy and renewables sector (solar, wind and waste-to-energy). It also maintains up-to-date knowledge of the laws and regulations governing the electricity and renewable energy sector in Egypt.
Our team has also extensive experience in infrastructure projects by advising domestic and multinational clients on the establishment and operation of their projects in Egypt. We provide integrated legal advice for our clients in relation to large-scale projects in Egypt.
Sample of Recent Experience
- Appointed by EBRD among a consortium with DNV GL and CMS International Law Firm to provide comprehensive support to EgyptERA for refining and implementing a regulatory framework for successful private sector participation in the electricity market and implementing a successful market opening for private-to-private projects, in full compliance with the provisions of the Electricity laws and regulations as well as the international best practices. Our task includes the preparation of a complete due diligence report on Egypt’ regulatory framework in relation to the electricity sector, identifying its key objectives and any gaps that will hinder the market opening, with the aim of achieving a full competitive Egyptian electricity market in full compliance with the Electricity Law 87/2015 and its executive regulation. Our scope of work also includes the revision and drafting of all agreements needed for implementing the proposed first phase of the electricity market opening.
- Acted as the local counsel for Eni, the Italian multinational oil and gas company, in the landmark transaction relating to the restructuring of Damietta LNG facility as well as the settlement negotiation in relation to the USD 2 Billion arbitration award against the Egyptian Government. Our role included advising Eni on the acquisition of 50% of Union Fenosa Gas’ shares in SEGAS company, as a part of a big settlement agreement concluded with the Egyptian Government in relation to Damietta LNG project.
- Representing the Saudi Arabian group Fawaz Al-Hokair in its prominent project with the New Urban Communities Authority (NUCA) to set up a waste-to-energy (WtE) facility in 10th of Ramadan City. The project will serve New Cairo, El Shorouk, Badr, Obour, and 10th of Ramadan cities. Our task includes the drafting and negotiating of the project agreements with NUCA, and participating in the negotiation process with NUCA, EETC and the Ministry of Environment.
- Advising Bombardier Transportation, the global mobility leader in relation to its EPC contract with the Egyptian National Tunnel Authority regarding the mega project of the Monorail Transportation System for the New Administration Capital and the 6 of October City.
- Advising a Spanish multinational construction company in relation to its subcontract agreement with the main contractor in relation to the Grand Egyptian Museum project.
- Advising Energy and Contracting Solutions (ECS) in structuring its build-own-operate agreement (BOO) project for establishing and operating 1.5MW tri-generation heat and power plant for the purpose of selling the electricity, steam and hot water generated from the plant to a well-known dairy factory in Egypt producing fresh dairy products, for a period of 20 years.
- Advising – with DLA Piper- GS Engineering & Construction Corporation on the settlement with ERC on finance restructuring of Egypt’s largest oil refinery project in a value of USD 500 million. The project is a green-field refinery with investment cost of more than USD 4 billion and is expected to produce 2.25 million tons of diesels, 80,000 tons of butane gas and 600,000 tons of jet fuel.
- Representing Saudi Arabia group Al-Hokair, one of the few developers who succeeded to sign the power purchase agreements for round 1 of the Feed-in-Tariff project in Benban – Upper Egypt. We advised the developer from the first beginning of the project starting from assisting the client to prepare for the prequalification stage, going through reviewing and negotiating the project agreements (PPA, CSA and Direct Agreements), negotiating and reviewing the finance documents as well as opening on the securities up until successfully reaching financial closure.
- Advising the consortium of China Railway Group Limited & AVIC International Holding Corporation in relation to the 10th of Ramadan Railway Project. We provided our legal support in relation to the EPC Contract with National Authority for Tunnels (“NAT”) at a total value of $1.2 billion. We also advised AVIC on the construction agreements with the subcontractors; the subcontractors consist of a consortium of Egyptian construction firms, including the Holding Company for Roads, Bridges and Land Transportation Projects and Orascom Construction.
- Advising the Japanese company Taisei Corporation in relation to local law, force majeure and liability aspects of the construction agreements of Borg El Arab International Airport Extension Project Phase 2, Alexandria, Egypt with the Egyptian Airports Company
- Advising Airport City Real Estate Co. on their EPC contract with a Chinese contractor for Plant and Design-Build of King Abdulaziz International Airport City Project – Phase 1 (Shopping Mall) in Jeddah City, Saudi Arabia.
- Represented the French company Assystem for Engineering Services and providing legal and tax advice on its contracts with the Russian contractor responsible for the establishment of the El Dabaa Nuclear Power Plant in Egypt.